Friday, December 18, 2009

The Christmas Box House

I think the idea of good will, or charity, has a large part to play during Christmas, especially during hard economic times like these. I think it's important for the kids (and grown-ups) to know that they are still loved, and Christmas is a wonderful time to do it.

At work this year, they are sponsoring the Christmas Box House. I've heard of it, but I've never really known what it was. This year I found out. It's a charity to help kids in the foster care system. Some of the stories absolutely broke my heart. Many of these kids just have no idea about the good in the world; they have only experienced the bad.

It's a pretty affordable charity to help out with. They ask for new items that are pretty inexpensive--socks, pajamas, stuffed animals, etc. If you are looking for a worthy cause, this is it.

I think one of the saddest parts about it is that as soon as the kids turn 18, they are out of the system. Most of them don't make it (meaning that within a year they are either in jail, on the street, or dead). There is definitely an area that needs some support... Ideas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment