Funny how we share such a small part of our lives with our friends, but what a lasting impression they leave. These girls were my roommates my freshman year at BYU, and some of my favorite people, even though the annual Christmas card is about the only way we keep in touch these days.
I got a wedding announcement from one of them this week (Shirley). She's had a rough few years to say the least. Her husband passed away from a heart attack a few years ago (he was only 38) leaving her to raise five little ones on her own.
I remember so well when she was dating her husband, James. I remember going with her shopping for her wedding dress. She seemed to have such a charmed life. So sad. And now she's found love again and is getting married next month. Her fiance is also a widower. He lost his wife suddenly to leukemia (she died only 9 days after being admitted to the hospital), and also has five children. They are going to have a full house.
Life can be so hard. I'm grateful that trials don't last forever.
I certainly miss my friends from the past, however long ago we were in close contact, and wish I was as close to them now as I was then. But they are still my friends, and I still care, and I still want to celebrate their joys and mourn with their sorrows.
Congratulations, Shirley! I wish you all the best.





0 comments:
Post a Comment